Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Healthy Pumpkin Bread

Yesterday I made healthy pumpkin bread, I used the recipe from 100daysofrealfood.com but changed a few things around. My husband doesn't like cloves - and I don't know that I've ever had anything with cloves in it - so I left that out. At work today one of my coworkers said it was good, but something was missing (maybe it was the cloves!). The full recipe is as follows:

  • 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (I used King Arthur’s white whole-wheat flour)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ⅛ teaspoon cloves
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup chopped tree nuts (optional)

  •  
    I left out the ginger, cloves, baking soda (because I just didn't have any) and the nuts. Despite all the missing ingredients it was still yummy and it made me feel good that I wasn't eating a million calories. Even better, I felt okay giving it to Emma - and I'm really picky about the things I let in her body! She loved it! To give it a bit of a sweeter taste I used a pumpkin icing recipe from skinny taste using cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and a few others things. This recipe definitely made me ready for fall! In fact, it has inspired me to finish my fall wreath. The only thing left is to hot glue the fake pumpkin and leaves to the mesh and it will be ready to hang up! Pictures to follow next post :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment